top of page

Nathaniel Rogers House

2539 Montauk Highway, Bridgehampton, NY, USA

The Nathaniel Rogers House is envisioned as an active center for historical research and for programs that celebrate and interpret the history and cultural traditions of Bridgehampton and neighboring localities.


The Nathaniel Rogers House is conspicuously located on the main artery of the South Fork of eastern Long Island, and it is an integral component of Bridgehampton’s streetscape. The house is a glorious example of Greek Revival architecture and is one of the few full portico (temple front) Greek Revival houses to survive on Long Island.



The Nathaniel Rogers House represents three historic construction periods.


The original House built by Abraham T. Rose in 1824 was a post and beam structure measuring 25 feet by 40 feet with two main rooms upstairs and two downstairs, separated by a central hallway.


In 1840 the home was purchased by miniature portraitist Nathaniel Rogers whose vision to create a Greek Revival structure was realized with the addition of an impressive front portico that included four massive Ionic columns. Rogers also added four large parlor rooms at the front of the house and two similarly designed bedrooms directly above on the second floor, which he also expanded. The third-floor bedrooms we also added along with a tall, slender cupola.  The House went on to be owned by many after Rogers’ death, yet it continues today as one of the last and most impressive examples of Greek Revival architecture on Long Island.


In 1894 the House was purchased by the Hedges and Hopping families, who created the Hampton House, a luxury hotel. They added a summer dining room and butler’s pantry built on the east side of the original 1824 structure and a more extensive expansion of the south kitchen wing, which included an apartment for the owners or managers of the Hampton House. The hotel closed in 1949, and the Hopping family resided there until 2004.


The historical structure underwent a major restoration with funding from the Town of Southampton, the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation, the Helen & Claus Hoie Charitable Foundation, and many local community members.

The Bridgehampton Museum has entered into a long-term Stewardship Agreement with the Town of Southampton.


The Nathaniel Rogers House will be an active center for historical research and for programs that celebrate and interpret the history and cultural traditions of Bridgehampton and neighboring localities. The Museum will host performances and educational programs for area schools.


According to the Society for the Preservation of Long Island Antiquities, The Nathaniel Rogers House is one of the most important architectural gems of its style on Long Island. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.


Call today to schedule a visit!

(631) 537 1088

bottom of page